There are many different types of racing styles. All of them, except Board Track Racing, are still done today.
- Board Track – racing on an angle/bank, race surface covered in wood
- Short Track – track is usually ¼ mile oval, smooth, prepared dirt
- Flat Track – ½ mile oval, also on a smooth, prepared dirt surface.
- Mile – 1 mile race, smooth, prepared dirt surface
- TT Scrambles – left and right turns, some jumps, dirt track.
- Road Racing – early on they used smooth dirt, now paved surfaces.
History of the Motorcycle Part III; Early Racing
Wikipedia: Board track racing
Indian Motorcycle Memories: Racing Photos
Wikipedia: Motorcycle Sport
Board Track Racing 1919:
The only board track racing film known to exist.